Wednesday, February 1, 2012

LONDON


I landed in London around 6:45 A.M. and we had the day free to do whatever we wanted. Jeremy (I met him at JFK) and I walked around the city for a while before we stopped to have lunch. There were other AIFS students from our group eating there so we sat with them. After lunch we walked around the city for hours, we probably walked around 8 miles. We went to Hyde Park, which was huge and really pretty. There was a palace there under construction, lots of dogs, lakes, statues, and history in the park. Here is the group of us in Hyde Park:















After that, we walked under this overpass with a statue on top and lots of police cars drove by, apparently that was the Queen of England since she is the only one allowed to drive under it. We were on a mission to find a pub to drink at, once we found it I ordered a Stella. That was my first legal drink! That night, we had a quick meet and greet to get to know the 123 people in the program, (only 22 guys..) then a big group of us went to an area called Soho in London. We all had a great dinner then got a few drinks at a club. London reminded me of a cleaner New York, but it was even more expensive because the dollar is very weak compared to the pound. The next day we woke up early for a bus tour around the city. I loved that, we got to see all the touristy stuff; Buckingham palace, Big Ben, London Bridge, Tower Bridge, Westminster Abbey, etc.  After that, I went to lunch with a few people and I learned that French fries are called chips in England (not complaining).  The 4 of us who had lunch together took the tube to Abbey Road where of course we took a few pics. I didn’t even know which crosswalk it was at first, and a lot of cars were driving by and honking at us to move, but I’m glad I got to go there. That night we went to this awesome bar/restaurant (again in Soho). Next thing I knew there was a 5 AM wake up call in my hotel room, and we were on a bus to the Heathrow airport to head to Italy!!! P.S. my roommate in London was a girl from Port Washington!


No comments:

Post a Comment